Posted November 01, 2017
Reward of $1000 for the recovery of each of the original Australian "Project Ape" Cache containers
In Early 2001, Groundspeak (Geocaching.com) in conjunction with 20th Century Fox placed 12 special geocaches around the world to promote the release of the movie "Planet of the Apes". These caches were known as Project A.P.E. or "Alternative Primate Evolution". These caches are an important piece of Geocaching history. Only one of these caches still exists - in Brazil.
Of the 12 Project A.P.E caches deployed around all around the world, There were two caches placed in Australia -
- Mission 11: GC1412 Tallow's Sand - near Byron Bay, New South Wales Placed August 2001 - missing some time before May 2002
- Misson 8: GC1058 Wattle's Edge - Burwood, Victoria, Australia - Placed August 2001 - missing October 2001
Both of the cache containers and their contents went missing in 2001, and most likely have been found by accident and taken home by a local, kids, park workers etc. They may be being used as storage in a garage somewhere, holding junk in the shed or be hiding in a storage unit.
These two caches are an important piece of history and of significant interest to the sport of Geocaching, so Geostuff.com.au is offering pay $1000 (Australian Dollars) for each of the two original Australian Project Ape geocache containers "No questions asked"
The cache containers themselves are large ex-military metal ammunition cans, they are dark green and clearly marked in paint as being "Project Ape" caches, and the Project A.P.E. logo (similar to the logo above).
If you possess one of these containers - or know of their whereabouts please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and conditions:
- To be eligible for the $1000 payment, the cache container must be in original condition with original markings clearly visible. For instance - not over painted and complete.
- Geostuff will verify the authenticity of any container presented with Groundspeak Inc, and may reject any container presented for any reason.
- Geostuff will pay the $1000, by bank deposit only for each container within 30 days of possession of the container and the completed validation process.
- There is no expiry date on this offer.
- Geostuff.com.au is only interested in the original Project A.P.E ammo can cache containers. Any attempt to pass off a reproduction/fake as an original will be treated as fraud.